Blog Blah Blog
What is a blog and its purpose?
To me, a blog is another communication pathway where we are able to share our thoughts, interests, and experiences online to any audience that may seem interested. Depending on the security or privacy setting that we choose in our blog, we can share our ideas to everybody or a small group. We can discuss our posts as they relate to others' experiences and interests.
How can you use this in your official capacity? (teacher, admin, central, office, etc)
I can use this blog in many ways as a teacher. I can make it informative where I publish information or news about any general topic of concern or interest. I can create a "How-to" demonstration. I can upload pictures, music, videos, presentations, slideshows, screencasts, and documents for easy access with my students. I can create e-cards, video grams, pictograms, etc. about activities that are happening in the classroom. There are endless ways to use a blog, but it all depends on the writer and what kind of audience they are trying to appeal to.
Give at least two explicit examples of uses (not just "reflection")
I used blogs in college because it was a requirement for the class. I created an educational technology blog back in 2006 that could be helpful for teachers. 2006?!?!?! That's when iPads weren't created yet... and technology wasn't up to par with what we have now... I also created another blog for my student teaching at Oleai Elementary School to showcase pictures and activities that were done during that semester in Fall 2007. I see the use for a blog to be very beneficial in the classroom; however, I would still end up using additional forms of social media like Facebook, Twitter, or Edmodo because of the immediate feedback that I get from the students and the ease of accessibility.
What are the benefits and drawback of a blog?
Blogs are beneficial because it gets us to write. I am not a public speaker and I tremble and stutter when it comes to being interviewed. Writing/Blogging helps us speak our mind. By working on blogs, it is our personal domain. We get to write freely about topics that interests us, share our experiences online, etc. There are drawbacks; however, and sometimes, it takes time to make one. I like tweaking the backgrounds, changing up the fonts, etc. to personalize it and that takes extra time. I also constantly have to mind map and plan what I'm going to write just to make sure that it flows well into the next subject/category/topic.
Cite at least 1 resource from our readings on the blogs or an outside source you found
3 informative websites on why teachers should blog:
Why teachers should blog? (Prezi)
10 reasons every teacher should have a website
7 reasons teachers should blog (Same as Florence's choice)
I found these websites so intriguing because it convinced me to go back to blogging. Not only from a professional standpoint, but also on a personal level (but with two separate blogs). The only problem is: where can I find the time to do so? LOL. I hope this blog post helped and please tell me what you think. Thanks!

3 comments:
I agree with you, I think the biggest downfall to writing blogs is that some people just don't have enough time to sit down and write. I think we all need to make time if we are dedicated to our blogs. Then, it shouldn't seem like a chore but a way out from this busy world.
P.S. I like your blog background =)
Thank you, I like blogging, but it's so time consuming... I wish I can have more time like you do... LOL
Hey Jacky. Nice setup. Blogging is time consuming and I'm not really good at it. I like the concept of using it for my class and school. Guess I need to experiment more with it.
Post a Comment